Is The Ketogenic Diet Safe Long-Term?
The keto diet has consistently stayed in the spotlight and has proven to be pretty effective. It focuses on foods that are high in fat while restricting carb intake. Additionally, it has been praised for all it's positive effects on overall health as well as weight loss.
But one of the main questions people have about this popular diet is: Is it really safe for the long term? After all, you are removing a major food group from your diet. However, it seems that the keto diet is definitely safe for the long term. So what can the keto diet do for your health? What are some possible benefits of doing keto for the long term?
1. What The Keto Diet Can Do For You
One of the most notable reasons people start keto is for weight loss. After all, when you start keto you will notice a significant amount of weight loss. Additionally, your metabolism may increase as a result of keto. The ketogenic diet has been shown to significantly decrease overall appetite, which contributes greatly to weight loss.
Ketogenic dieting has been used successfully to reverse Alzheimer’s and reduce epileptic seizures in children. Some have even used extreme ketogenic dieting for inducing remission from their cancers. The keto diet even helps to reduce blood sugar levels, which makes it a great option for those with Type 2 Diabetes.
2. Effects of The Keto Diet
When it comes to the benefits of the keto diet, weight loss is just the tip of the iceberg. Here are just a few of the other effects of that keto has on your body:
- Weight Loss: The keto diet is one of the most effective and healthy ways to lose weight. Because the ketogenic diet is using body fat as an energy source, your body will begin to burn the unwanted fat causing obvious weight loss benefits. Basically, your body becomes a fat burning machine.
- Increased Energy: Another huge benefit of the keto diet is it's effect on your energy levels. When your body runs out of glucose, you experience a huge drop in energy because your body has run out of fuel. However, keto helps to provide your body with a more reliable energy source allowing you to feel more energized throughout the day.
- Control Blood Sugar: Keto naturally lowers blood sugar levels due to not eating as many carbs so your body can't produce glucose. Because of this, keto can be extremely beneficial for those that are pre-diabetic or have Type II diabetes.
- Appetite Control: When eating a diet that is heavy in carbs you can often find yourself hungry a lot sooner than you expected after eating a meal. However fats are more naturally satisfying they end up leaving our bodies in a satiated state for much longer. This means a lot less cravings.
And all of these effects will of course be for the long-term.
3. Fats To Avoid When Doing Keto Long-Term
If you are doing keto for the long term, there are a few fats you should avoid. Generally, these are the heat processed fats intended to replace naturally sourced whole saturated fats. Margarine and common processed poly-unsaturated vegetable oils for cooking or salads should definitely be avoided.
They are hydrogenated or partially hydrogenated and are high in trans-fatty acids, which have been associated with many of our modern culture’s chronic metabolic disorders. These toxic trans fats are present in fast foods, processed foods, and more so try your best to avoid them.
The Long-Term Keto Takeaway
All in all, the keto diet is a great way to lose weight and get healthy. It's a low-carb, moderate protein, and high-fat diet that comes with many amazing benefits. It is safe for the long-term and can have many amazing effects on your overall health.
Want to learn more about the benefits of the Keto lifestyle? Then I encourage you to grab your Free Keto Quick Start Guide Today! My main goal is to take your personal health on a transformative journey from a place of lethargy and carb addiction to that of euphoria and fat-burning. My experience, training and passion are all about educating and empowering women to results; not just in terms of fat loss, but in improving their overall quality of life, and the lives of those around them. It is my pleasure to serve you and help you find a happy and healthy lifestyle with Ketogenic Living, so let's connect!