What is the difference between Keto and Paleo?
Keto and Paleo?
When it comes to weight loss and healthy living there are two styles of eating that take the spotlight: Keto and Paleo. While both of these have similar benefits and foods, there are quite a few differences.
The main goal of Paleo is to eat foods that help promote digestive health. This means eliminating grains and legumes due to their phytic acid content as well as most dairy products. However the main goal of Keto is to promote accelerated weight loss and improve your overall health. Now that we have an understanding of the basics, let's get into the similarities and differences between these two diets.
1. The Similarities
In order to fully understand how these two lifestyles are different, we should discuss how they are similar. The main difference between these two is their purpose, however, both of them use similar methods to reach their goals. Both encourage:
- No grains
- No legumes
- Emphasis on healthy fats (nuts, seeds, animal fats, coconut oil)
- Encourage eating quality animal protein (grass-fed, organic)
- No refined sugar
- Encourage eating plenty of non-starchy vegetables and leafy greens
2. The Differences
While both Paleo and Keto can be used to achieve a certain outcome, the Keto lifestyle is more rigorous and targeted. The Paleo method is a lifestyle choice that can produce certain health benefits, including weight loss. Here are some of the main differences between the two:
- Paleo isn't Necessarily Low Carb: The Paleo method may restrict grains, legumes, and refined sugar, but there’s no real limit to the amount of carbs you can eat when it comes to fruit and starchy vegetables, such as squash or sweet potato. Additionally, there is no restriction on high carb natural sweeteners (honey, maple syrup, etc.) with Paleo. This means that your body will probably continue using glucose as your primary energy source, rather than fat.
- Keto Doesn't Restrict Dairy: Paleo puts a huge emphasis on restricting dairy products. This is mainly because Paleo removes foods that are hard for our bodies to digest, and dairy is one of these foods. Keto, however, isn’t as hardline about dairy. In fact, full-fat dairy products are permitted with a Keto lifestyle.
- Keto Focuses on Burning Fat Instead of Carbs: The biggest difference between Keto and Paleo is the desired outcome: burning fat instead of carbs. Keto helps manipulate your metabolism and accelerate fat loss. While Paleo does promote weight loss, your metabolism will most likely remain in the default state, which is burning carbs for energy.
The Keto vs. Paleo Takeaway
All in all, Keto and Paleo are both ways of eating that help promote weight loss as well as many other health benefits. While Keto may seem a bit more restrictive, it can produce the most dramatic results for fat loss and overall health benefits. After all, the main goal of Keto is to change your body's energy source from glucose to fat, which reduces the leading cause of most chronic and life-threatening illnesses: inflammation.
Want to learn more about the benefits of the Keto lifestyle? Then I encourage you to grab your Free Keto Quick Start Guide Today! My main goal is to take your personal health on a transformative journey from a place of lethargy and carb addiction to that of euphoria and fat-burning. My experience, training and passion are all about educating and empowering women to results; not just in terms of fat loss, but in improving their overall quality of life, and the lives of those around them. It is my pleasure to serve you and help you find a happy and healthy lifestyle with Ketogenic Living, so let's connect!